Thursday, July 9, 2009

Green-eyed Monster

socalifmap

Today my friend, Jane, and her family took off for their trip from Southern California to New York.  Clear across the country.  Driving.  Oh, my eyes are so green with envy!  I was born with a long distant traveling gene that has a thirst that has not been quenched for years, ever since I moved back to Southern California in 2000.

There is just something about hitting the road outta town.  I have been to every state west of the Mississippi and a handful east of it.  Every state has it’s beauty.  I love the history in each place too. While traveling, not only do I absorb all the sights, sounds and smells of being there, but I also like to imagine what it was like years ago. 

Like when you are driving across the open country of Nebraska, it is fun to imagine what it was like for the pioneers to come across in their wagons.  It is almost impossible to comprehend only traveling about 12 or so miles a day.  We are so used to covering 100s in a day.

I am looking forward to the day Jerry and I can get in the car and travel to the other side of this great country of our.  Just taking our leisurely time, spending as long as we want wherever we want. 

Right now, though, I settle for traveling via the computer..  I love to pick a city out of the Rand McNally map book and go there on Google Earth.  It is fun to see what other parts of the country really look like. The only thing is you do not really get a feel for the 3d-ness effect of going over the mountains, which in my case might be the best since I am terrified of heights! 

While traveling to that city with my imagination and the computer, I also google search the city and read their website and any links they have.  It is fun to research like this.  It is also very cheap!

But it still doesn’t beat being there in person.

Sigh, lucky you, Jane….

No comments: