Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Not So Friendly Visitor

coffeecanisters090209 001

On Monday morning I went into the kitchen, got a cup out of the kitchen cupboard, sat it down on the counter and immediately saw a black widow spider run across the web she was just beginning to spin from my counter top to the cupboard door.

I quickly grabbed the long barbeque fork off the top of the fridge and went in the hall and got a can of hairspray from the hall closet.

I spent a good hour poking all over that side of the counter and inside the cupboard with the fork, but no spider showed itself.

This morning I went into the kitchen and there was a messy web all over from the counter to the cupboard again.  Black Widow Spiders do not make neat Charlotte Webb type of webs, you can tell them by their messy webs.   Mrs. Spider must of had a busy night. 

This time I went and got Jerry out of bed.  He put a garden glove on and started moving the old glass coffee canisters, salt and pepper shakers and other nic nacs I have around on the counter.  He finally caught a glimpse of her legs sticking out of the red fake flower I have stuck in the little wire birdcage sitting on top of the canister I keep my white flour in. 

I handed him the can of hairspray and he lacquered her up.  She has now left our house via the flushing of the toilet.

This is the 4th black widow I have found inside since November of last year.  We even had under the house and around the outside of the house sprayed for spiders.  I think it is time to have all the yard, flowers and shrubs sprayed, too. 

I keep forgetting to fill my hugging Polar Bears up with baking soda and putting them back in the fridge.  In the back of them is a little cup that holds the baking soda. 

2 comments:

Holli said...

We found a black widow spider on my dad's dock out in the country! They sure are scary little creatures! I'm glad you found it because I wouldn't be able to sleep easy knowing a poisionous spider was inhabiting my kitchen!

Donna said...

Thankfully, with the temperatures hovering around 107 degrees lately, we have been eating tv dinners for meals still, because I couldn't do the dishes knowing that spider was lurking somewhere!!! Most spiders do not bother me, but black and brown widows terrify me.