Friday, May 8, 2009

The New Desk Arrived

Today the new desk arrived at 9 this morning. Jerry wasn't here, he was playing chauffeur for my two sisters, running them on an errand.


First I will give you a little background. When Jerry moved in to take care of his dad, he moved from where he was living in Santa Barbara County with a small u-haul truck. The only piece of furniture he brought with him was his office desk. It was a really nice, heavy desk. To fit it into the little bedroom he was using as an office at his dad's, the door jam had to be removed to fit the desk into the room. At the time the mobile home was having extensive renovations so the workers who were already there working did this for Jerry. When we moved in November, we didn't have the tools and neither of us could physically move that desk. So we had to leave it. Trust me, I cried and I tried every which way possible to get that thing to move. My friend Jane and I even spent one whole morning trying to take the desk apart piece by piece in an attempt to get it out that itty bitty mobile home interior door. Nothing doing. The most important part of the desk that we needed to come apart, the bulkiest part, was not cooperating. There was just no way we could bring that desk with us.


When we moved here and I finally got to where I could set up an office area for Jerry, we took an old door, an old tv and a small filing cabinet and made a make-do desk for Jerry.





This served it's purpose, but he had no drawers for all the little things a person likes to have in their office space. Even though Jerry is 6 foot 7 inches tall, the make-do desk was still a little too high for arm comfort. And he really wanted an office chair with wheels and he wanted his wingback chair in the living room to sit in when he watches tv.


Tuesday we stopped at an used office furniture store that Jerry had found on the internet. Part of our exercise is to just get out and move. Right now neither of us can sustain a lot of walking - my back and being out of shape and his weight and being out of shape. Window shopping is a good way to get more movement into our exercise routine.


The used office furniture is in a warehouse. They had just received another batch of used furniture and there were several desks with tarps on them still. Jerry had figured he probably couldn't get a good, used desk for less than $250. He walked over to one of the tarp covered desks and asked the owner how much he would ask for this one. Jerry lifted the corner a little, but wasn't really paying attention since he had no intention of buying one that day. The owner said he could have it for $70. Jerry paid for it on the spot. He also bought a used office chair on wheels for $30. We asked if they could deliver them on Friday morning.


So this morning they brought the desk over. We had bought it sight unseen. When they wheeled it into the house I almost jumped with glee!! It was the same type of desk we had to leave in the mobile home!!! The only difference is the 3 drawers are on the right side of the desk instead of the left side. I was laughing so hard. Boy!! Does God take care of us or what?!!


When Jerry came home I did not tell him. I just told him to go look at his new desk. I had set all of his computer stuff on it and it is ready for him to organize. He walked into the office and laughed "It is the same desk!!"




How's that for a happy ending to The Desk Story!


I also want to share the sweet smells that are coming through my side of the office right now. My jasmine bush is in bloom and oh, how wonderful the air smells!











This is how close the jasmine is to my desk - my desk is on the other side of the corner window in this picture:




Those pavers in the grass lead to the exterior office door. The purple flowers are geraniums -- oh how I love the smell of those too, they remind me of my grandmother, she always had geraniums. And those poor, pathetic looking rosebushes... we have work to do in the front yard, also, as you can tell.


Another gorgeous day here in San Diego County.

No comments: