Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hospitals, Airshows, New Shoes and Old Cars

Bright and early this morning, before most people were opening their sleepy eyes, Jerry and I were on the freeway. Our day had begun.

On Thursday Jerry stepped on a piece of sharp, dirty, aluminum that left two 1/2 inch-deep holes in his foot. I washed them with an alcohol wipe and put triple antibiotic cream and bandaides on them over the next two days. But I worried about him. He is a diabetic and when a diabetic receives a puncture wound, it is much different than a non-diabetic receiving one. Jerry has diabetic nueropathy really bad in both legs, meaning he has very little blood circulation and feeling in either leg, so there was not any initial bleeding to help clean the wounds out. Anytime he gets injured it requires more diligence in keeping an eye on it. Diabetics tend to get infections very quickly and then that is what causes loss of limbs. Last night I noticed redness around his wounds. So I called my first medical advisor, my daughter Bonnie, who is a nurse and a very smart one at that (can you tell I am a proud mama?!). She has worked on the hospital floor with diabetics who have come in for all kinds of complications. But.... seeing as it was almost 11 p.m. in Minneapolis when I tried calling, she was sleeping. So then I called the Ask-a-Nurse at the VA (Veterans) Hospital. She advised for us to go to the emergency room because, like I said, with diabetics you don't play around waiting for an infection to get bad before seeking medical help. Jerry, being a man, refused to go until this morning.

Praise God the redness had gone down in his heel. The doctor said we are not out of the woods yet and for the next week to keep a close eye on it, continue to thoroughly clean the wound site and put antibacterial cream and bandaides on. If we notice any change (redness, puss, warmth in his heel, fever in Jerry, spiked glucose level...) we begin oral antibiotics and get back to the doctor.

So back home we headed.

But we didn't go straight home. We stopped and had breakfast, went to the post office, went to Target, and to Barnes and Noble so I could buy a new book. My two sisters came into the store and we had a fun time visiting and looking at different books. Then I remembered Jerry was in the car waiting for me. What a good hubby, he didn't care it took me an hour, he was taking a nap when I came out. Besides the book I bought benefits him, too, hopefully it will help what he is looking at!!!

Then to Payless Shoe Source to buy me a new pair of walking shoes. I love Payless Shoe Source. Ask my kids. I wear a size 11/12 in women's and it is hard to find shoes anywhere. Payless has a nice selection of shoes in my size that don't look matronly. I comfort myself by saying I have "model's" feet instead of big feet! Shoes are my weakness. I can not go into the shoe store and come out empty handed. Yes, I really do own over 60 pairs of shoes. And today I added two more pairs... Payless was having a buy one, get the second pair half price off!!! So I bought the new walking shoes

And these really pretty pumps that called my name, I just couldn't resist.....

And guess what was going on in the sky yesterday, today and tomorrow??

You guessed it, another airshow!

We had to pull over and watch

We were right next to the runway, so the planes were right over us, and still the planes show up as tiny flies in the sky with this camera.... on my wish list is a new zoom lens digital camera.

Look very carefully and you can almost see two black specks in the sky above the row of cars in the middle of the picture. That's two planes, one heading west and the other heading east.... playing chicken in the sky.

Here they come again

They are getting closer

Oops, I think I need to take a photgraphy class

Here they are

Right next to us where we were parked were these two nice cars. I asked the owners if I could take their pictures, they were tickled and said "Sure, go ahead!".

A 1967 Chevy Camero

And a 1969 Pontiac GTO

Both of the guys that owned these cars are young kids. Jerry would love to join a car club and restore one of these old cars. Silly me, they aren't that old since he remembers when they were brand new, and sadly now my age is showing, too, I vaguely remember them also.

Then on our way home we needed to make a quick stop at the grocery store, look what was in front of us!

Can't you just feel that old car under you, smoothly rumbling down the road.....

Oh so pretty.......

I wonder if this guy is wearing a fedora? I love that style of hat...

Yes, I did feel like the paparazzi chasing after some old-time movie star, like Katherine Hepburn, taking all these pictures of this car while we were behind him....

Honey felt she earned her keep protecting the house from those pesky kitties outside the living room window while we were gone!

While at the grocery store we ran into an old friend that was a blessing to see. He was waiting for his car to be worked on at a shop a mile away, so we gave him a ride back to his car. I think God put us in the parking lot at the same time so we could have a little bit of fellowhip time. It is always good to see our Christian brothers and sisters.

No comments: