Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Old Time Radio



I love all the old time radio. Burns and Allen, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Lone Ranger, The Bell Telephone Hour, Lux Radio Theater, My Favorite Husband, Calling All Cars, The Chesterfield Supper Club, Abbot and Castello, The Jack Benny Show, Command Performance and so many more. I love to hear the recordings of events happening like baseball games with Babe Ruth in them or the news accounts of World War 2.



My grandmother told me that when my Dad was a young boy back in the mid and late 30s/early 40s, he would hurry up and get done with his farm chores so he could come in the house and listen to The Lone Ranger. That was his favorite program. He would be so upset if he had to miss the show.


Years ago comedy was actually funny. You didn’t need foul language, sexual content, or malicious criticism of others – those things are not funny I don’t care who says them. Funny is laughing at ourselves through the antics of Jack Benny or Fibber McGee. I know Bob Hope’s jokes could be a tad on the ‘racy’ side if you read between the lines, but that is just it. You had to read between the lines, he didn’t explicitly say it in descriptive detail. So your mind could take the more innocent approach and not even have to go all the way with it.



I love how the sound effects make your mind actually imagine what is happening. It is almost like reading a book. The imagination is a wonderful thing, but it has to be exercised just like the rest of our muscles to keep functioning properly. Tv does all our thinking for us, it tells us what to imagine, how to dress, how to act, etc. How to be a carbon copy clone of the people you are looking at on the screen in front of you. Do you really want to emulate today's Hollywood? I sure don't. Give me someone with class and style like Jane Wyman or Audrey Hepburn - you sure can't find those type of actresses anymore.



With Tv, your eyes soak in what is being shown, you don’t even have to think if you don’t want to. If you don’t pay attention with your eyes, you might miss an important 1 second gesture or camera pan that could be the whole story line. With radio, you can be doing a hobby like sewing or scrapbooking and listen with your ears and not miss a beat in the plot. Jerry gets upset with me because I crochet or do other busy work so he says I am not really watching Tv. I tell him that I am 'listening'.




To be honest, 2 hours of Tv is all I can handle before I go bonkers. I prefer to download the old radio shows onto my MP3 player, then I can listen while I get my chores done in the house, in the yard or in the evening when I sit down to sew or put a jigsaw puzzle together. I have some old shows on cds so I can play them on the stereo so both Jerry and I can enjoy them, or listen to them in the car as we cruise around town. There are some really neat websites out there that you can listen to the old shows on. Here are a few:














enjoy listening!!!!

No comments: