Monday, June 15, 2009

Vintage Horseless Carriages

Do you remember the airshow from earlier this month called Wings Over Gillespie? They had some very nice vintage automobiles from the 1910s or 1920s. I am sorry, I don't know the makers of the cars or their exact years. I sure enjoy looking at them, though. I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoyed seeing them in real life! (I didn't realize that I had not taken any pictures of the classic truck other than the rearview of it 3 pictures below, please forgive me!). When my father-in-law was a young boy back in the late 1910s, early 20s, they used to have oil cloth hanging in their cars for windows to protect a person from the cold and wind. Cars had no heaters back then, it just amazes me to think what we would consider an inconvenience, during our great grandparents and grandparents time was considered a luxury.











Here is a link to the Smithsonian Automobile Collection:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthemove/themes/story_78_1.html

If you click on the pictures of the cars, you can read a detailed discription of the car, the maker, when it was made, the history of the car and view other pictures of it. The collection begins with the 1866 Dudgeon Steam Wagon. If you click on Next Page at the bottom of each successive page, the collection takes you all the way to the 1997 EV1 Electric Car.

No comments: