Thursday, August 27, 2009

My $50 Purse

You know how I have been whining about my weight, my clothes, the rut I am in.  I don’t usually go out and buy myself much of anything.  It comes from being a single mom for so long and other things for little people being more important than what I wanted for me. 

I have a really good husband who is very patient with me for yakking his ear off most of the time, and all my other faults (I have faults?? !!)  Because I don’t ask for much 90% of the time, when I do finally ask, he rolls his eyes and tells me to get what makes me happy.  Well, truthfully he didn’t roll his eyes until I came back from my shopping trip telling him how I saved $109 by spending $105!!

My purchases came to $89.  If I spent over $100, I could save 25%.  If I bought the Perks card, I could save an additional 10% today and 10% on every purchase for the next year, plus the first Tuesday of the month I can save 20% (and this will include the jeans which normally do not go on sale).  So I added a few more things to my growing pile on the counter. 

newearrings082709 006

My spending spree on me started yesterday with the brooches and necklace and spilled over today with me going to Catherine’s.  I found these earrings for $1.99.  And oh, all the other jewelry they had in there.  Sigh….  strands and strands of necklaces, bangly bracelets, claspy bracelets, dangly diamondy earrings, pearl earrings, and so much more.  If I buy one piece a month…… sigh….

churchesnewpurse082709 011

I went in to only get the “buy 2 and get 1 free” deal for my undergarments.  While in there I went to their clearance rack.  I found this really nice dressy shirt for $15.  I love the puffed details in the design.   I tried to get an up close of it (below) but the picture does not do it justice, it is so pretty.  I have a navy cardigan already at home that I can wear it under, or a white silk blouse, too.

churchesnewpurse082709 019

I also bought a black blouse that did not take a good picture. 

The girl who helped me was so nice.  My usual shopping experience is to Walmart or Target, grab something off the rack, pay for it and leave.  I really have never been to a store where the salesclerk helped measure me, and then assist me in finding the right size and color. 

I found out I am actually 2 sizes smaller than I thought I was. 

Wow!

Which is a good thing, because trying on clothes in front of 3 mirrors where you get a good eyeful of every angle, you can’t pretend anymore.  You can’t plead ignorance, either.  All I can say is how sad.  How very sad that I let myself get in this shape.

churchesnewpurse082709 009

I have never owned a purse that cost me more than $10 at a discount store.  49 years old and so deprived.  I saw this purse for $50 and sighed really big.  The salesclerk said it was on clearance, and when she scanned it at the counter… it came up for $14.  I could not let that deal get away from me.

I feel like I am a little more in vogue now! 

I asked the salesclerk what their smallest size was at Catherine’s – size 14.  So even after I lose a ton of weight, I can still go shopping there.

Good, because I am tired of looking like a fuddy duddy.  And they have some really nice clothes with very helpful salesclerks.  I will be having sweet dreams tonight!

1 comment:

Holli said...

Oh, I have to say, all your vintage jewelry purchases have been beautiful. I'm so jealous -- we don't have any good antique stores here!