Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 003
Today my Dad turns 78.  He is my hero.  He has always been a hard worker, good provider for my mom and us 5 kids when we were growing up, and now that we are adults, he still takes care of us (like putting in all my new windows!)  Thank you so very much, Dad!  I love you tremendously!!!!  I don’t even think of him as retired yet because from the minute he gets up until the end of the day, he is busy working.  He putters around the house, my house, my sister’s house, his tenants houses, his truck yard and does appraising jobs for other housemovers (he owned his own housemoving business for over 40+ years).
I am very proud of my Dad!!
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 001
Last Tuesday morning Dad and Paul got 2 more windows in the office done.
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 004
Moving right along.  The windows are looking so nice!
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 007
And then they hit a snag Tuesday late afternoon. 
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 025
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 026
There are 6 windows on the south side of the house facing my parent’s house.  They are smaller than the windows on the east and west sides of the room.  Dad had to have the windows custom made in my house because the house was built in the 1920s and window sizes have changed through the years.  The windows that came with the order for these 6 south facing windows all came 4 inches too wide – each of them!  The fault apparently was in the measurements Dad gave the manufacturer.
So….. that means no returning, no refunding.  Work on the windows ended on Tuesday to give Dad several days to rethink his strategy. 
Wednesday I spent all day making 10 pies and getting ready for Thanksgiving day and my family all being here. 
We had a wonderful time together on Thanksgiving day.  I forgot to take any pictures, I was so busy all day, and in the evening I didn’t want to get out of my chair, I was so tired.  We ate our large meal at 1 p.m., and had the pies at 5 p.m.  I loved visiting with everyone. 
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 011
Saturday was a very wonderful day! 
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 013
We got rain!  (Looking at my parent’s side yard from the office windows).
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 015
Glorious,
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 016
wonderful
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 017
RAIN!
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 020
I sat at the windows and just watched it for hours!  We had the fireplace going and felt so cozy and warm.  It rained steady all day. 
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 030
This morning Dad and Paul were back over bright and early to tackle the south facing office windows.
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 031
They will be tearing out all the windows, in between the windows and the window ledge.
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 032
It will take several days, maybe even a couple of weeks,
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 033
and Dad said I will be living with plywood in the windows while they are working along the wall.
nov24thru3009officewindwsaturdyrain 035
But I know when they are done, the windows will look great!

No comments: