Thursday, February 23, 2012

An Army Mom's Heart


(Helicopter at Miramar Blue Angels Air Show 2005)

My heart and prayers are with the families of the 7 Marines killed last night in their Yuma, Arizona helicopter training exercises.  They were from Miramar here in San Diego County. 

Psalm 23:4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

Kyle was recently on a helicopter training exercise with his Army unit and I was praying the whole time he was on that training mission.  





(Kyle in pilot seat Miramar Blue Angels Air Show 2005). 

Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you 

When we lived in Iowa we knew an Army helicopter pilot who was killed while training in Ft. Campbell, Kentucky, just two weeks before he was to get out of the service.  That has stayed with me all these years.    


Psalm 55:22  Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved 

(Kyle sitting in pilot seat Miramar Blue Angels Air Show 2005) 

Now that Kyle is in the Army and working with helicopters, I hold my breath constantly.  This is one of those areas where I keep giving it to God, and then I keep taking it back by worrying.  I know God is in control, and I know that Kyle is where God wants him as we prayed and prayed about his decision to go into the military.  

Proverbs 3:5-6   Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. 



(Jerry standing in front of the type of helicopter he flew in while in Vietnam.  March AFB Museum 2007).

Jerry volunteered to join the Army during the height of Vietnam.  He was on a Medi-Vac (Dust Off) helicopter.  He saw more action than most on-the-ground infantry because he and his fellow Medi-Vac members had to fly into raging battles on an almost daily basis to rescue the injured or carry out the dead.  I know that God was in control of his life.  I know he was prayed for heavily by his family, our church and many others. 



(Jerry and his brother during Vietnam.  Jerry is on the left in his Army uniform)


Psalm 121:1-2  I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. 


(Miaramar Blue Angels Air Show 2005, Kyle age 16, leaning on helicopter)

My heart is heavy this morning for the families of our military personnel all over the world.  It is not easy being a mom, wife, sister, child or other family member of our military personnel.  Only through my faith in God am I able to get through the days.   

Philippians 4:6-7  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

Kyle has not been deployed yet.  He has 5 more years in the Army.  Knowing he is where God wants him makes it easier, although that doesn't mean I do not worry and fret and stomp my foot in a fit at times.  I have to keep giving him to God.  I have to keep surrendering my fears to Jesus. 

 

(Kyle receiving his wings at Ft. Rucker in August 2011)

Matthew 6:34  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

My husband keeps reminding me that more people die or are injured who are NOT in the military than who are in the military.  He reminds me that none of us know what time we have on earth, only God does.  God knows the exact number of our days. 

Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life? 

Pray for the salvation of each of our military members.  Pray for their safety at all times.  And pray for their families that they may all know the true Peace that comes from the Lord Jesus Christ to help them through the days of worry that lie ahead.   

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you.Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.


(This picture was taken on Kyle's graduation from Army Bootcamp in May 2011.  Kyle is knealing in the front row on the right).




No comments: