Saturday, March 17, 2012

Finished My First Knitted Pair Of Socks

Today I finished those knitted socks.  I didn't mean to take a month knitting them, but beings as they were my first ever sock to knit, I did have to rip out the first sock out about 3 or 4 times when I was almost finished each time.  I would notice that I had not pulled my thread tight enough as I knitted on a new needle, therefore I had some lose yarn areas on the sock.  I hadn't noticed these areas until I would be almost done with the sock.  Grrrrrrr.



All in all, the socks were fairly simple to knit.  I love how they feel on my feet.  I had read somewhere a comment by another knitter that said after making their own socks they would never go back to store bought again.  I can now say I have the same sentiments.  They just feel so much softer homemade, and roomier..  I don't feel like my toes are being strangled and suffocating.  The socks feel airier yet warm at the same time if that makes sense.



Actually, this first pair will be going to my husband.  He has a hard time wearing store bought socks because of his diabetes.  Even the specially made diabetic socks are too constricting for him.  But these are not.  So it looks like I will be busy making him socks for quite a while!



This little book I bought when I first learned to knit in summer school when I was in 4th grade, that would've been in 1970.  I remember eagerly looking through it then, and through the years, dreaming of making each project.  But I never did.  The only thing I ever made from this book were the mittens.  How sad that 40 years have passed and I am finally working my way through the book.  I have decided to make everything in it.  Everything.  What projects we won't wear, I will donate to missions in Mexico or somewhere here in the U.S.



The first project I made (40 years after buying the book!) was the afghan, which is the first project in the book.  I didn't do it exactly as it looks in the pattern picture.  I knitted each of the blocks with yarn I already had on hand then I crocheted a black sash between each block.  Around the border of the afghan I continued the sash theme in black and trimmed it with the little bit of yarn left from the blocks.  Jerry loves this afghan and uses it all the time.



I would take the blocks with me to church on Wednesday nights and while my husband was in choir practice, I would knit.  I also knitted at home in my spare time, or more like whenever I picked it up which wasn't as often as it should've been.  I started it in November 2010 and finished it August 2011.  I could've had it done within a month of starting it if I had worked on it everyday for an hour.



My goal this year is to spend an hour every evening working on a project while I watch/listen to my old radio broadcast cds or old movie/tv show dvds.  Currently we are watching a 26 episode dvd called The Life of Riley that a friend at church loaned us.  It stars a slim and young looking Jackie Gleason.

I hope your St. Patrick's day has been relaxing and fun.  My mother's father's family is from Ireland, so yes, I am part Irish.  My Auntie 'Rene has visited the area where the family is from and said it is absolutely beautiful.

And now, time to turn the page in my Begin to Knit book to the next project...... mittens! 




No comments: