Monday, March 12, 2012

I Love Second Hand Things

The past two weeks have found us gone away from the house almost everyday.  Leaving early in the morning and coming home in the evening.  Our adventures have included doctor's appointments, visits with friends, long drives, running errands, and thrift/antique shopping. 

I found quite a bit of treasures to bring home.  They have been sitting in their shopping bags on the dining room floor waiting for me to post about them.  Some of them I will go into more detail in a future post.  For now, I wanted to show all them to you!

There is a small city near us called La Mesa.  Their old main street is nothing but antique, thrift, art and other misc stores, plus a few restaurants.  I love to go browsing there.  

If you click on the pictures they will enlarge so you can see things better.


I am getting rid of all my old metal pie plates and switching to glass only.  Since I make about 11 pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals I need to find a lot of glass pie plates!  I found 4 at one store.  I love the milk glass one.  The cheese grater looks like it has never been used.  And I love the heart shaped little cup cake pan.


I picked up the box of 6 Cooking Academy videos and carried it around the antique mall with me debating whether to get it or not.  Finally I decided to since if I didn't I would be kicking myself in the future.  Isn't it neat that the Bundt Flan Pan box is in such good condition?  The pan itself looks like it has never been used.  And the clear glass pitcher will look so pretty filled with fresh lemonade made from our tree of lemons.


I love to do puzzles.  I repeat.... I absolutely love to do puzzles.  They are addicting.  I don't watch tv, I don't play video games, I try and limit my time on the computer -- but if a puzzle is in progress -- oh my!  I can lose all track of time hunting for that one elusive piece that finishes a row.  I love the movie The Rescuers Downunder.  When Kyle was young we used to watch that video over and over and over, but I have never seen the first of that series.  So I bought it for $1.  


Crafts and more crafts.  I think I have so many patterns already that I would never get everything made in 5 lifetimes.  But they are a passion of mine, so I buy them.  


And books... boy do I love books.  I need to buy more bookshelves.  I already have 13 that are filled to the brim!  But... I just can't let a good book pass me by.


Isn't this doily gorgeous?  The powder bowl and lid called my name and I answered!  It is so pretty.  And the dog.... even though it is a Springer Spaniel and our Honey is a Cocker Spaniel, I still had to have it.


I have an old fashioned ice cream maker already, but this ice cream maker had caught my eye in the store several years ago, I just never bought it.  I found it for $4 and couldn't pass it up.  It makes single servings of ice cream, there are two bowls inside the box... perfect for Jerry and I.  We do a lot of our cooking in an old Sunbeam square electric skillet.  It will be nice to have two to use at the same time when needed.


Finally, isn't this little village adorable?  I saw it at the last minute at the very last thrift store I was in.  I paid 25 cents a piece for each of the little houses, church and horse and buggy.  I could not pass that deal up.  Now I have a new collection to start working on!  









No comments: