Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Hodge Podge Of Thoughts

sdskylinesilverstrand

This is where I would like to be at today.  This picture is looking from Silver Strand towards the San Diego skyline across the San Diego Harbor.   The Strand is a sliver of land that runs from the mainland at Imperial Beach to Coronado Island (and got the name ‘Silver Strand’ from the silver colored shells laying on the beach on the ocean side of the strand).  I wish I had that blue, blue water in a pool in my backyard right now!

 acindiningroom 003

Today was day 2 of running the new portable air conditioner.  Boy, was it ever nice in the house.  I kept the shades on the north side of the house closed all day for a change, Jerry said he thinks that helped a lot in keeping it cooler.  I usually keep those shades open because I love having the view out my windows, I hate feeling enclosed inside the house – not that I am claustrophobic,  I just love having my big windows open so I can enjoy the view outside from inside. 

I have the a/c sitting in the dining room by the French doors between the living room and dining room.  The kitchen, laundry, our bedroom and the spare bedroom (also known as the sewing room) all are staying cool, too.  I have an oscillating fan going all the time in the bathroom, but I think some heat seeps in around the old fashioned window slats, so it feels a tad warmer in there.

A friend stopped by around lunch time and commented on how cool it was inside compared to outside.  So… YES!  That money we spent was well worth it.  Now, the question is how much is it going to raise our gas and electric bill?  While it is running we think it is well worth it.  But I wonder if we will still feel that way when the bill arrives!

My mind keeps jumping all over the place today.  We have been doing really well with eating our frozen dinners at home the past few days… and liking it.  I have not done really well with recording our meals on my other blog, though.  Part of that is because I have a direction I want to take that blog in and am working on organizing those thoughts onto paper right now.  Give me a week or two more and hopefully I will have it in place and will begin posting on it again also.  It won’t be just our menus from now on, either. 

nancy taylor

I am hoping to make it into a plethora of posts on homemaking, gardening, beauty tips, lots of recipes, ideas on how to make our marriages better, – in general, the kinds of things that interest us girls.  Plus, I will keep a public accounting of mine and Jerry’s journey to better health on it.  I am not trying to bore anyone with our weight loss,  it just keeps me focused on being successful instead of giving up and staying in my rut by being public.  Otherwise I am not accountable to anyone.

Don’t you hate it when you a song gets stuck in your head and it won’t leave???  This morning I had SOS by Abba, which isn’t bad, I do like that song.  But this afternoon for some reason Call Me by Blondie entered my head and it will not leave.  Not that Call Me is a song I can’t stand, it is just one of those songs that I could take or leave. 

By the way, for you youngsters reading this – Abba and Blondie were groups that came out when I was a teenager in the mid to late 70s.  I always roll on the floor laughing when they are referred to as ‘classic’ – wait a minute, I am not old enough for them to be considered that.  

A couple of months ago, Jerry and I went to a business luncheon where they were giving out free MP3 players.  As you can imagine, the word ‘free’ tells you right away that they are not ‘expensive’, ‘cheap’ is the better descriptive word.  But, they work, and they were free.  Jerry doesn’t care about using his, so I have kind of claimed both of them as mine.  I have some old radio shows on both of them right now.  One of them I am wanting to put some sermons on so I can listen to them in bed, or as I work around the house or wait in the car for Jerry or whatever.  The other one I am going to use for the old radio shows and/or music. 

Maybe some of that old ‘classic’ music will get my feet moving and my fingers snapping as I do my housework – burn those calories, Donna, use it or lose it…..

No comments: